Monday, March 27, 2017

My sister, Danél visited me for 3 weeks here in Ireland and inspired me to try to keep my blog up to date. She also brought me beautiful taupe fabric to bind a quilt that I made for our nephew, Nicolaas and his wife Jorette (Erasmus). I took remnants of the lace fabrics that Jorette used as bunting on their vintage wedding day in May 2016 and made a memory quilt. It was a wonderful project to work on and I tried to free-motion quilt feathers and some circle motives that I saw on the front door of the venue of the wedding. The bride and groom's names, wedding date and venue were all quilted in different blocks around the edge. Because the lace was stretchy and flimsy, I quilted it very densely to background fabric to try to strenghthen it. I am happy that Danél had enough room in her suitcase to take the quilt back to the couple in South Africa. Unfortunately I helped her packing in such a hurry last night after attaching a hanging sleeve and label that I forgot to take a proper picture of the finished piece.




I always try to make miniature versions of my bigger quilts to experiment with the quilting a made this small piece for my friend and colleague, Oxana to celebrate a special birthday last year in September.

1 comment:

  1. I am really impressed with this post! Congratulations! I'll take nice pictures this morning and send it through. The quilting on this piece is breathtakingly beautiful. It was a wonderful trip. I came back brimming with ideas and energy. xx Danel

    ReplyDelete